Transition…

Perhaps it isn’t going to take me until menopause after all to finish my chair.

Last night I learned how to make buttons.  I needed 8 buttons, and was successful with 7.  1-7 were perfect.  The 8th, well lets just say I was cocky and didn’t pay attention.  I covered it with the wrong side out.  OOPS.  Of course I can’t take it apart and the buttons are only sold in packages of 4.  Go figure.  eameschair-024I am really excited about how they turned out.  I was quite concerned after reading that DIY buttons nevr look good.  As far as I am concerned they are fabulous, sans one.

My next project was the ottoman.  I had previously covered it, but it was time to test my muscle and that of the buttons.  I am a bit disappointed with myself here.  As I mentioned, I covered the ottoman previously but failed to use tension where the buttons should have gone.  So they aren’t exactly at even depths, but pretty close.  As I told my friend Gail today, only I will really notice and believe me I am noticing EVERY flaw!  buttonottomanOh and if you notice it doesn’t look like the right button is even in teh right spot.  Even so, I am pleased for this being my first project.  Plus I view it like this…it was so easy to do this time that I can always take it apart again!

Next came the head rest.  Having learned from my mistake, I made sure to use “bolts” on twine as my tension point.  Thus I think this is my most prized part of the chair yet.  Well, no wait my arms are pretty good.  So I would say they run a close tie to each other.  eameschair-002 This is pre-button placement, but as you can see it has the perfect tension because I used the bolts in it.  Lesson learned!  Once again Freeshia approved of the efforts that far.  eameschair-022 Though I did warn her again about her and the claws.

My last labor of love for the evening was the base.  This had to be the hardest piece to do yet.  It is quite large, and cumbersome to work with.  This piece has the most fabric, and I knew if I screwed it up I was in trouble because I bought just enough fabric to complete the job.    Over all I am mostly pleased with how this turned out but as I view the photos I can see some flaws here as well chairbottomFor example that stray piece of fabric on the bottom towards the left side of the cushion.  Well, that too has already been taken care of.  I think once its sat on too the fabric will “move” some and settle.  At least I hope!

Finally here it is as a whole-chairtotalTomorrow night I will complete her.  Well at least the fabric part.  This spring I am going to take her apart one last time, sand the wood and restain it to its former glory.

Advertisements

7 responses to “Transition…

  1. I am impressed! I think you are doing a FABULOUS job! Better then I could ever do.

  2. It is looking good. When it is your own work, you always notice the flaws more than anyone else ever would. Great job so far.

  3. The chair looks awesome!

  4. Don’t you just love doing home projects. I just finished drapes for my bedroom, its so rewarding to know you did it yourself. Good luck with the rest.

  5. It looks fantastic! I have always thought recovering furniture is a project that would ~seem~ easy until you found yourself in the middle of it.

    You are doing an amazing job!

  6. Love it….looks great!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s